We still had a good 10 ten lemons after I made lemon cake so I thought I could use a few more up in some lemon cookies. I was inspired by my Grandma Dot, who I am planning on sending these to, and added some ginger to the dough in her honor 🙂 These are just the right amount of lemon, with a light sweet glaze, and go quite well with tea.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs lemon zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (optional)
- a dash of Limoncello (optional)
For the glaze icing:
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4-5 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers, until fragrant.
- Beat butter and sugar/lemon mixture together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla, ginger, and Limoncello. Mix until smooth.
- Slowly beat in flour mixture on low speed until blended. Drop dough by tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Gently flatten dough with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until cookies are just set and slightly golden brown. Move to cooling racks and allow to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Dip each cookie top into the lemon glaze. Let cookies sit until icing has set.
These cookies travel well and are so cute! When life hands you lemons make the perfect melt in your mouth lemon cookies to have with some tea 🙂 Happy Summer